General Instructions for diagnostic shoulder arthroscopy
- Apply ice covered with a towel to shoulder for 2-3 days (15-20 minutes at a time).
- Swelling and bruising is normal. Most of the swelling will settle within 48hr
- Low grade temperatures (37.5 C) are not uncommon for a few days after surgery
- Your sling is for comfort only.
- Your dressing may show blood stains after surgery. This is expected. If the blood is still wet after the first day seek advice
- You may shower after 3 days.
- Do not swim or submerge incisions in water for 2 weeks.
- Take the arm out of the sling every few hours and straighten the elbow whether you are exercising or not
- Move and use your elbow and wrist as comfort allows
- Start “pendulum” exercises with arm in front of body.
- No lifting, pushing, and pulling for 1 week.
Work and Driving
- Your comfort level should be your guide for returning to work.
- Most people are able to return after 1 week
- Driving is determined by your ability to turn the wheel safely in an emergency
You should be seen about 2 weeks after surgery for the wounds to be checked and the findings discussed.